[Rabbit-dev] pipelining
Rick Leir
2012-02-04 01:00:33 UTC
"HTTP pipelining"
Have you looked at google SPDY: An experimental protocol for a faster
web? Quote "To allow many concurrent HTTP requests to run across a
single TCP session"
http://www.chromium.org/spdy/spdy-whitepaper
Today: Rabbit could support SPDY on the client side and you could use
Chrome. Some time in the future, if the SPDY project gains momentum we
could use it on the server side.
cheers -- Rick

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 20:00:33 -0500
"HTTP pipelining"
I have looked at it, but just for the executive overview. I have
not started to read up on the white papers. It would be interesting
to add support for it. I am a bit worried about the changes required
though, they would probably be quite big.

One day perhaps, maybe if/when I start the rabbit/5 series, which I
have been thinking about. No timeline for it now though.

/robo
Samat K Jain
2012-02-04 16:44:01 UTC
Post by Robert Olofsson
I have looked at it, but just for the executive overview. I have
not started to read up on the white papers. It would be interesting
to add support for it. I am a bit worried about the changes required
though, they would probably be quite big.
Unfortunately, all there is IS the executive interview.

Full client-side support for SPDY and with all the important details it
needs (the ones no one talks about, like SSL false start)? Only in
Google Chrome. Partial support is in Firefox 11 but it is disabled by
default.

Open-source server-side support, also with support for those details?
There's *nothing*. mod-spdy (Apache), which looks the most promising,
does not support multiplexing, a big reason for using SPDY in the first
place.

Lastly a question, do any browsers support communicating to a proxy over
SSL? I don't think any do??? so another dead end.

SPDY would be a lot more amazing if it worked outside of Google Chrome
and Google.com. But it doesn't???it might as well be called
Micr^H^HGoogle??? Proprietary Google.com Internet Server Accelerator???.
Google has done a fantastic PR job of getting everyone (except those who
put work into trying to use it) to talk about something that works for
them but no one else.

Since we're fielding unrealistic feature requests, how about:

* LZO and LZMA compression. DEFLATE and Gzip are so 1989.
* Some kind of delta transfer support, perhaps using rsync. This one
actually has been done before: http://rproxy.samba.org/
* JPEG2000, ImageZero, WebP, PGF, <your favorite alternative image
format here> support for re-saving/resampling images
* Rewrite of RabbIT from Java into Ruby or Node.js. Maybe just assembly.
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> ? GPG: 0x4A456FBA
Robert Olofsson
2012-02-04 17:19:43 UTC
On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 08:45:24 -0700
Post by Samat K Jain
Lastly a question, do any browsers support communicating to a proxy
over SSL? I don't think any do? so another dead end.
I have seen such proxies, but I do not remember the names.
I guess that most people that care about that use ssh tunnels nowadays.
Post by Samat K Jain
Since we're fielding feature requests for somewhat unrealistic ideas
* LZO and LZMA compression. DEFLATE and Gzip are so 1989.
Quite easy to do, but as far as I know most browsers do not support it.
Rabbit is written so that it does not require anything special on the
client side.
Post by Samat K Jain
* Some kind of delta transfer support, perhaps using rsync. This
one actually has been done before: http://rproxy.samba.org/
Correct, that is an interesting thing.
Post by Samat K Jain
* JPEG2000, ImageZero, WebP, PGF, <your favorite alternative image
format here> support for re-saving/resampling images
Again something that most browsers do not support.
Post by Samat K Jain
* Rewrite of RabbIT from Java into Ruby or Node.js. Maybe just
assembly.
Feel free, I am not sure what you would gain by it though.

/robo
Samat K Jain
2012-02-04 23:33:16 UTC
Post by Robert Olofsson
Post by Samat K Jain
* Rewrite of RabbIT from Java into Ruby or Node.js. Maybe just
assembly.
Feel free, I am not sure what you would gain by it though.
I apologize, I was trying to be sarcastic/critical, listing unrealistic
things in order of unrealism. I.e. not made to be taken seriously.
--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> ? GPG: 0x4A456FBA