[Rabbit-dev] Download manager and multiple connections
Mindaugas Žakšauskas
2011-10-17 20:33:50 UTC

I have got a strange problem from one of my users of Rabbit who is
using a download manager.

The user is saying (and he has provided some screen shots to base this
claim) that sometimes when he downloads multiple large files, the
proxy simply does not accept any new connections and behaves as the
whole service is down. At the same time, other (pending) downloads
still progress as usual, just no new connections are being accepted.
After the download finishes, he can start new downloads.

Our monitoring system shows that the service is usable and is working as normal.

My guess that the culprit here could some deep packet inspection [1] /
filtering, installed on the ISP side, however it is rather hard to
prove this as the problem does not occur on a deterministic basis.

So my question is - is it theoretically possible for Rabbit to have
any sort of connection limit/blockage?

Thanks very much in advance.

m.

1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_packet_inspection
Robert Olofsson
2011-10-17 22:12:59 UTC
Hi!

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 21:33:50 +0100
Post by Mindaugas Žakšauskas
So my question is - is it theoretically possible for Rabbit to have
any sort of connection limit/blockage?
It sounds odd, how is this user connecting to rabbit? is there some
router/firewall/other that can interfere with the traffic?

Rabbit has no connection limit or connection blockage built in based
on usage. Rabbit may have bugs of course.

Rabbit has the access filter, based on ip, but I guess you do not have
that enabled.

Many http aware middle-wares/proxies/browsers put their own limits on
the number of concurrent requests to an upstream server/proxy, rabbit
does not do that.

Based on the information at hand it is very hard to say much.

/robo
Mindaugas Žakšauskas
2011-10-18 21:21:25 UTC
On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM, Robert Olofsson
Post by Robert Olofsson
Post by Mindaugas Žakšauskas
So my question is - is it theoretically possible for Rabbit to have
any sort of connection limit/blockage?
It sounds odd, how is this user connecting to rabbit? is there some
router/firewall/other that can interfere with the traffic?
Neither I nor the user know for sure, but I would not be surprised if there was.
Post by Robert Olofsson
Rabbit has the access filter, based on ip, but I guess you do not have
that enabled.
No, definitely not - at least in this installation.
Post by Robert Olofsson
Many http aware middle-wares/proxies/browsers put their own limits on
the number of concurrent requests to an upstream server/proxy, rabbit
does not do that.
Based on the information at hand it is very hard to say much.
That's what I wanted to confirm, thanks very much!

m.
JODI BAKER
2011-10-19 13:36:27 UTC
Post by Mindaugas Žakšauskas
So my question is - is it theoretically possible for Rabbit to have
any sort of connection limit/blockage?
The limit could be the resources of the machine Rabbit runs on. Look in
Rabbit's log for errors around the time the problems occurred.
cheers -- Rick