[Rabbit-dev] mobile website transcoding proxy
Luis Soltero
2012-10-11 01:11:10 UTC
hello all,

as you know mobile websites are considerably smaller than normal sites.

give that we were wondering if rabbit could be configured to present itself to the remote size as a mobile device so
that the corresponding low bandwidth page would be served. Normally this would be done by the browser but in this
situation we would want users using normal browsers to be automatically switched over the mobile sites.

To do this rabbit would have to intercept the browser id and substitue an appropriate mobile version id... i.e. if
safari is detected then mobile safari is substitued.. etc...

Anyone know if this is possible? If not anyone know what would be involved in implementing this?

Look forward to your comments.

--luis
--
Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS
Director of Software Development, CTO
E-Mail: lsoltero at globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.starpilotllc.com
Robert Olofsson
2012-10-11 20:39:25 UTC
On Wed, 10 Oct 2012 21:11:10 -0400
Post by Luis Soltero
as you know mobile websites are considerably smaller than normal sites.
At least in most cases.
The hard part is to figure out if it is a separate website or
if the server does some magic (many swedish sites have www.xyz.se
for the full site and mobil.xyz.se for the mobile site). Some
sites sniffs the request / user agent or so and let www.xyz.com
figure it out.
Post by Luis Soltero
To do this rabbit would have to intercept the browser id and
substitue an appropriate mobile version id... i.e. if safari is
detected then mobile safari is substitued.. etc...
You can easily change the request headers in a HttpFilter. There
is no current filter made that do what you want, mostly because I
have not wanted to do it.

I can probably write such a filter in less than one hour if you can
give me a spec on how it should work (that is what headers to change
and how to change them), sniff your network traffic to figure it out.

/robo
Luis Soltero
2012-10-11 21:31:38 UTC
hello Robo,

i believe the best approach is to allow www.xyz.com to figure out. This way the user doesn't need to know which
website to enter into the url address to get the mobile website.

i just did a bit of research and found this
http://whatheaders.com/data/

its amazing how many different http header types there are. Anyway, the mobile headers can be ignored since they are
already correct. The trick will be to take the non mobile headers and map them to a correspondingly similar mobile http
header.

souldn't be too difficult to do.

Let me look through the xml file from whatheaders and come up with a mapping that makes sense.

--luis
E-Mail: lsoltero at globalmarinenet.net