[Rabbit-dev] why does this image not get compressed?
Luis Soltero
2011-09-14 05:33:37 UTC
hello Robo,

Check out the following url.

The header returns as jpeg and the browser displays it fine but the proxy just passes it through with out resampling it.

If, however, you use the following portion of the url

The image gets put through convert and resampled without issue. For some reason the proxy is getting confused by the
above even though the header being returned indicates that its an image.

Any ideas?

--luis
--
Luis Soltero, Ph.D., MCS
Director of Software Development, CTO
E-Mail: lsoltero at globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.globalmarinenet.net
Web: http://www.starpilotllc.com
Robert Olofsson
2011-09-14 11:24:58 UTC
Post by Luis Soltero
hello Robo,
Check out the following url.
If you do a HEAD '<the url>' and check the header you will find:
Cache-Control: private, max-age=86400

This means that rabbit is not allowed to cache the image and rabbit will
only recompress images that it can cache.

The shorter url is cacheable since it has a different header:
Cache-Control: public, max-age=86400

It would be possible to rework rabbit so that it does not use the cache
for image conversion, but that is nothing I currently have planned for.

/robo
Luis Soltero
2011-09-14 15:55:32 UTC
OK. that makes perfect sense. Thanks for the explanation.

--luis
Post by Robert Olofsson
Post by Luis Soltero
hello Robo,